Saturday, June 16, 2012

Trend Spotting

**I wrote this article many weeks ago in May, but noticed a typo which updated it June 16.**


The High Point Furniture Market happened in April.  Unfortunately, I have never been to the enormousness that is the furniture mart in High Point.  One day...


I was lucky enough to go to AtlantaMart one July with a previous job.  That was the hardest I have had to work!  Ten hours of intense shopping everyday for a WEEK with so much thinking involved is not my idle shopping experience.  

But alas, as a retailer one must look to the Spring Mart to find your latest trends that your store "Must Have."  I do not follow trends and I would never tell someone to buy something because it is "in" for this year.  Instead, fill your home with things you love that make you happy.  If chevron stripes and things with birds on it make you happy, then buy it!


Basically what is the trend for Spring/Summer 2012 is EVERYTHING!  From the Belgian look with gray washed and linen; to super modern furniture; to things with birds on it; to tufted pieces; to PURPLE; to dragons; to elephants; to blue; to hand crafted; etc. etc.  To sum it up, everything in your current living room is on trend to what the market shows this Spring.  That's why I think trends are so silly!

You can read more and see more about the High Point 2012 trends here.  

The colors Blue, Purple, and the Pantone Color of the Year Tangerine are all colors from Spring/Summer 2012.  

Love the rich cobalt blue of this lamp. 

Perfect lumbar pillow for an occasional chair. 



Any shade of blue is on cue.  You will see later that handcrafted items are trendy too.  Always try to hit two birds with one stone right?






Really like this masculine leather chair.  I'm not a fan of orange, but I could do this one.




Now we know which colors to decorate with, how about furniture styles?

Funny you should ask because according to High Point, you can decorate with Belgian inspirations, Moroccan inspiration, Industrial, 50's modern, French neoclassical, Vintage, Classical, or Chinoiserie.  See what I mean you probably already have most of these items in your home?


Here's a taste of what's new from all these genres:

Belgian:
Such a pretty bed from Stanley. 



 Moroccan:
I like a pop of Moroccan in a room.  




 Industrial:
Industrial is sometimes too cold for me, but these barstools are nice. 




Modern:
Mad Men is still influencing our decor.  This tv console has a lot of interest. 

I can picture this chandelier going over a dining table quite nicely. 





French Neoclassical:
It would take the right client to throw in some French Neoclassical.  Canning, greek key, and inlayed wood I can do, a lion's head on the arms is a bit more of a struggle!





Vintage:
This is such a cute little chest. 




Classical:
Introducing Phoebe Howard for Sherrill Furniture. 


A different fabric on this chair and it could work in any room. 





Chinoiserie:









Next layer on some of their styles for accessories:



Chevron/Ric-Rac:



Trunks:




Natural elements/Grasscloth:

(Introducing HGTV furniture line.) You know this is a must for any room.  Glad to see it is still a trend!




Sea Life:





Birds:

Birds have been the big trend for the last several years.  At least this chair combines both Chinoiserie and birds!  Pretty colors too.



Men's Wear Inspired:




Hand crafted:

With the popularity of Etsy, it's no wonder that retailers want to jump on the handmade bandwagon. 



Elephants:






Nesting pieces:

Nesting tables are great to visually take up more space, provide interest, and have an extra table hidden away.  This is a nesting console with ottomans plus wicker!




It's always fun to see what is new out there.  There are several trends that I didn't cover in the post so check more out here.  Some trends I think I'll use more of are the storage trunks and nesting pieces (there were even some nesting bookcases!)  I would like to use more hand crafted pieces, but those can get expensive real fast.  I'm not a big mod girl so maybe I should try stepping outside of my comfort zone and throw a piece or two into my designs.  


Did you see any new looks from the Spring/Summer 2012 catalog that inspired you?


 All images are sourced from High Point Market


No comments:

Post a Comment