Friday, March 30, 2012

Blue and white

I seem to always put blue in a bedroom.  I find that blue- either soft blue/gray or blue/green, creates an inviting, serene, spa like room.  And I like when my clients' agree with me.  Who would want to turn down a calm, serene bedroom??  


Phoebe Howard, interior designer everywhere in the South, creates perfect bedrooms every single time.  Below is an example of one of her blue bedrooms.  


Sigh... such a serene bedroom. (source)




One of the condos I am working on has three bedrooms.  The color palate is steel blue, tan, cream, and chocolate.  Currently one of the bedrooms is used by a stylish teenager.  I want to create a fun room for her while using these colors.  I have to keep in mind that it is a rental property that will get beat up, so washable fabrics and durability is key.  The client wants white matelasses for the rental property.  However, these are some things I would buy if we didn't have to worry about renters.




The proposed bed for my teenager provides the perfect backdrop for blue and white. 












I have found some great blue and white bedding options that you can find in stores and online.  


Pottery Barn had some pretty ones:

Great duvet cover option for a boy's room


Such a pretty blue/green washed damask look.


My favorite out of all three.



Pine Cone Hill options:

 New bedding by Pine Cone Hill, very masculine.


 Pretty damask quilt.


My favorite linen duvet cover from PCH.




These items from Dwell Studio are perfect for my beach condo, but I think have since been discontinued:

This one is teal, but screams hip teenage girl.


Perfect for a lake house or the ocean!



And we can't forget the wonderfully, amazing John Robshaw:

The movie "The Change Up" featured duvet, quilt, and shams all by John Robshaw. (*side note duvet and shams have been discontinued) (source)



I understand that not everyone has my taste in the design of a bedroom. I came across these rooms which feature wonderful accents of blue and white. 


This person is a true lover of all shades of blue! (Side note: love the rug.) Image from "Domino" (source)


Very masculine bedroom and bedding. (source)


Oops this one goes back to my pretty serene category.  I just like all the fabrics (damask!) and the cute pom-pom trim on the drapes. (source)

This is for the fancy lover of navy. (source)


Very fun bedroom by Phoebe Howard. (source)


Phoebe Howard again.  Love the headboard to bring pattern to the room. (source)



My ideal bed consists of a nice sateen sheet set- preferably bamboo or something else super soft; a cozy fleece blanket; a solid coverlet with coordinating shams; and a duvet cover folded at the bottom with matching euros.  Top it off with a decorative throw pillow and you have yourself a wonderful bed.   

I have several clients that have allowed me the luxury of custom bedding.  This is a great option when you live on an Island where there are not options.  You can customize the bedding to fit your exact specifications.  It doesn't have to be anything ornate or fancy.  When you have a trusted seamstress anything is possible.  

I'll keep you posted on what is actually chosen for the teenager's bedroom.

Now go jump in your freshly made perfect bed and enjoy some much needed beauty sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment