Friday, March 23, 2012

Cayman Style

Today is going to be a little more history...oops I lied on the last post.


It gets a little warm here...everyday it is the same temperature... 84 degrees with a low of 77.  The only thing that changes is if there is a breeze.  While in the summer the temperature doesn't get much warmer, apparently it is blistering because the humidity is thrown in. As a Southerner, I can't imagine it will be any worse than Charleston in July.  Hopefully we will at least have an ocean breeze.  




 Typical Cayman style home, circa 1900. Heritage Garden at the Queen Elizabeth Botanical Park.


Original Cayman style homes were made for the climate.  The homes were of very simple construction, usually with palm leaf roofs and walls.  The palm leaves were excellent at keeping out the rain.  Bare floors and plenty of windows would have been used, and hammocks were used as the beds.  To keep the house cool, the kitchen would have been a separate building on the back.  The homes were used only for sleeping, if you were going to socialize, you would use your porch.  (You can still drive around and see people porch sitting.  It is a wonderful way to feel the breeze.)  On their porches is where you would find the only use of decoration.



Traditional Cayman architecture with fretwork and cheery paint.


With a home constructed of palm leaves, one can imagine it is not able to hold up to the hurricanes and tropical storms that the island faces.  Not many of these homes remain on the island.  With the island becoming populated with different cultures and becoming more wealthy, two story homes and varying styles begin popping up on the island.  Most homes are now constructed with concrete to help withstand the weather.   The homes I have been in, are ten years old or are one of the condo buildings along Seven Mile Beach constructed after the 1970s.


Image showing the condominiums along Seven Mile Beach


Castillo Caribe, 45,000 sq. ft. home on South Sound owned by a software genius.


I wish I could say that the image above is one of the homes I have been in.  It is currently on the market for $60 million.  If you are interested, please contact me because it does need some updating!  

Hurricane Ivan in 2004 caused a tremendous amount of damage to the island.  Most homes needed renovating afterward due to the high levels of water that washed over the island.  Since then, a wave of new construction and updating has happened over the island.  

Most of the clients that enter my store are residents of Cayman.  Most are not born Caymanian, but now live here full time.  They want their homes to look like where they used to live- dark furniture, leather, or microfiber.  While the rest of my clients, come half a year or less.  With half of those, renting out their condo.  The people that have their condo on the rental market want the tropical rattan look.  While the rest of the people do not want to see one palm leaf or wicker piece.


Braxton Culler furniture can be found in most Seven Mile Beach rentals.


I would love to say that everyone here wants easy breezy Island furniture and decor.  White cotton or linen, natural elements, splashes of color, open windows, and swings on the back porch overlooking the ocean.  This is how my dream Island home would be.  The images below are from the Jalousie Plantation in St. Lucia.  It embodies my idea of what every home here should look like.  It also happens to be where Steven and I spent our honeymoon.


 A beautiful serene bedroom.  Throw a few pops of color around and it would be perfection.


 White exterior with fretwork, foliage, and a curved pool.


Comfortable outdoor furniture and a beautiful view to top it off!



While I would love for every home to look like the Jalousie Plantation, I know I would get tired of the monotony.  My hardest question would be "which white should I use today?"  Luckily, this is not the case for me.  They say variety is the spice of life, so I am lucky that my clients are requesting different things.  That is the beauty with interior design.  

Currently, I am working on two condos on Seven Mile Beach that are on the rental pool.  One does not want tropical prints, the other has them and loves them.  I will be blogging about these two projects to give you an idea of Cayman Island design style. 




**My research came from here.



Ok I promise that's the last of the history lessons... at least for today!



No comments:

Post a Comment