Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Design Dilemma #1: Artwork

As an interior designer, it is my job to make your home look good.  Many people have the impression that they can not hire a designer because we cost you tens of thousands of dollars.  While that can be the case, often times my job consists of fluffing and rearranging what you currently own.  Clients realize something is askew in their room or are wanting a change.  Hire a designer for an hour consultation and watch the magic.  You are under no obligation to continue using them or implement their ideas.  Sometimes just having a fresh pair of eyes in your space is a wonderful idea.  


I'm going to start a little series of things I notice when I go into homes that would be simple and quick fixes to put a designer's stamp of approval on your room.  It really is a list of my decorating "pet peeves", but that sounds negative.  I will give you the "dos" after I discuss the "do nots," I am here to help after all...


First on my list is artwork.  I love artwork... I think people get a bit intimidated about art.  Don't be scared of it.  If you are really drawn to a piece of art or it says something to you, Buy it. Obviously it should relate to your home, but you can always make it work by tying in the colors with accessories and other items in your home.  


One of the biggest errors as far as art work goes that I have seen is that it is hung too high.  I believe this is because typically the wife has the husband hang the art.  





No, no little pieces of artwork come closer to the sofa and talk to him!


While the internet gives varying heights as to where the artwork should be, the general consensus is the center of the piece should be at eye level.  This is typically 57"-60" from above the ground.  Keep in mind this is the center of the painting, not the top of the frame or the bottom of it.  


In the images above, not only are the pieces crazy high, they are not relating to the pieces of furniture below them.  A rule of thumb if you are hanging art above your sofa, it will be about 10" above it.  This allows you to rest your head back and not get knocked out.  


This image of a Hickory Chair Furniture seating arrangement shows that the center of the artwork grouping is hung at eye level.  



When it comes to hanging art above tables, consoles etc. the same rule of thumb applies.  They should hang about 10" above the surface.  There will be cases when this will not be the right height.  For instance above a desk, you may want it lower to allow you to view it while you are working.  


This artwork is hung proportionately to the console beneath, as well as, hung at proper height.


You want your artwork above your pieces of furniture to not only relate to it spatially, but also in proportion.   Your artwork should be 2/3 the size of the furniture's width.  The image above is a good example of this rule of thumb.  

If you are going to create a collection of images, they should also relate together.  Keep them a few inches apart.  The distance will vary due to the size of the artwork.  Typically 4" is a good distance. 

Artwork relates to the sofa in proportion and distance to the bottom.  The pieces are also hung at a nice distance from each other.  Plus they are really cool!


There are plenty of websites showing you how-to hang your art.  Better Homes & Garden had inspirational ideas for working with your blank walls.  Or you can try SAS Interiors.  Here's a little video.  The general gist of hanging art is to create a template of what you are wanting to hang by laying them out on the floor, then tape up the template on your wall before you put nail holes on your wall (I am definitely guilty of having Swiss cheese walls!). 

I'm not sure how I feel about gallery walls.  I love them, but then I also get so overwhelmed by them.  I think it is very important to surround yourself with things you love, but I also am a big proponent of symmetry.  Gallery walls sometimes drive me insane. The key is to keep them close together and have similarities.  Either in subject matter or frames.  

Style at Home has an article about gallery walls.  Here are their steps to create balance in your collection.  

1. Place the largest piece in the center.
2. Evenly space the works with the darkest subject matter.
3. Use a cohesive palette.
4. Before hanging, arrange your pictures on the floor and move them around until you have a combination you like. 
5. Then hang the pieces, judging the placement by eye and replicating the arrangement as closely as possible.







 I can not handle these two images.  I would be way to afraid to stand in these rooms for fear of falling pictures.  The first image probably drives me more crazy because of the sofa pattern + the lamp + all the art.  The hallway image has consistent black frames, but the art should not go floor to ceiling.  You lose the importance of each image when it is so much in your face.  Given the fact that you only have a 3' viewing space in the corridor, the amount of art should be limited.  




I don't mind these gallery walls because they have symmetry and shape.  

Black and white keeps it unified, as well as, the rectangle shape.  This is a gallery wall I can handle.


Just the right amount of images and I like the diamond shape of the collection.


Unfortunately the art doesn't look centered above the headboard.  And I would like for it to go up a few inches, but there doesn't seem to be space.  But I can handle this gallery wall due to the matching gold frames, color palate, and shape.


 (source)
So much impact with repeating shape and color.



Matching frames and rectangular shape.


This gallery wall is starting to go a little on the crazy side for me.  I think the white frames help keep it more airy than the hallway gallery.  



Take a look at your artwork.  Do you think it is hung higher than most eye levels?  Does it relate to your pieces of furniture beneath it?  Are they too spread out?  

What about gallery walls?  Are you a fan or are you a bit timid like me?

Don't forget to consider hiring an interior designer to give you a fresh perspective on your space.  Many furniture stores offer hourly consultations for their customers.  


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jessica for reading! I love those pictures too.

    ReplyDelete