Saturday, April 14, 2012

Violet, You're turning violet!

Purple is my favorite color.  I have taken a picture of all the purple items I have in my closet.  And keep in mind, I only have summer clothes here on the Island.  It doesn't include all my purple sweaters and long sleeved shirts.  As I am typing this, I am wearing a purple shirt, purple earrings, and drinking out of my purple Nalgene.  


My purple wardrobe, including four purple bathing suits... a bit excessive I know!




While I love purple, I don't seem to decorate with it.  My own home in Charleston was greens, creams, and blues.  I did manage to throw in a blue/purple/gray guest bathroom (Daydream by Sherwin Williams).  Next time I am able to decorate, I am going to throw in some purple.  


Like all colors, purple has quite the range in the decorating scheme.  You can go for a soft lilac (my favorite) to a deep aubergine.  (Don't you feel so fancy when you say aubergine?)  Purple mixed with gray makes it more masculine, while when it is mixed with red it becomes softer more feminine, or it can sometimes go "kiddy."  


Why is it that so many people have an aversion to purple?  Everybody likes blue and red right?  (Well not me, I do not like red.)  But when you mix them together it creates such a pretty color.  I have found that men especially have an aversion to purple. Perhaps they imagine Barney the dinosaur when they think of purple, or they think it is too feminine.  I am including a few rooms to show that purple can look masculine.  Luckily Steven enjoys wearing purple so hopefully he will like it in our house.


Purple was one of the "hot" colors last year.  While I would never tell someone to decorate with the trendy items and color of the year (by the way, this year Pantone's color of the year is Tangerine), I do think it is important to decorate your house with colors you like and make you happy.  If you are struggling with color in your home, get inspiration from your closet.  If you only have blue shirts in your closet, you need to decorate your home with blue.  


I digress... back to my original topic, Purple.  Here are some great rooms with purple.  




Such a pretty dining room featured on House Beautiful's cover.  If only I could be as bold to paint my doors a rich glossy indigo!! (source)




This room was featured in a showhouse in SoHo inspired by the movie Girl with the Pearl Earring.  John Saladino, the designer, was able to mix purple with many natural textures in the room- leather, nail heads, rattan, chenille, wood, and stone.  The purple hues look very elegant and contrast nicely against the neutral backdrop. (source)



This is using purple in a feminine way with lilac paint and lilac fabric.  To make it work for your husband, keep the purple fabric but use a richer color on the walls and a more structured window covering.  It does, however, make a pretty guest room.  (source)




House Beautiful made sure to let you know that this is a "hockey dude's home."  They gave him a super comfy looking mohair purple sectional.  Adding the rustic coffee table and grass cloth walls brings in texture and masculinity.  (source) 




While I love purple, I don't think I could commit to purple floors!  I could do the pretty purple napkins and the paint. (source)




This is an intriguing room, don't you think?  There are so many different styles, textures, and colors incorporated.  It has a masculine feel, but also uses pinks and purples.  I really like the gray purple velvet on the sofas that ties in with the curtains.  (source)


Look at this pretty bedroom from Crate and Barrel!  The bedding is gorgeous, the upholstered bed is perfect, the art is great, and the walls are a subtle smoky lilac.




Don't forget to add a splash of Purple outdoors.  Isn't this a fun collection from Crate and Barrel?!  






Here are some ways you can add Purple to your home: 


These are the shades of purples I can handle for wall paint.  If you aren't brave enough to paint a whole wall, why not paint inside a closet or the inside of a cabinet?




1. 2. 3.

Seriously who knew Target had wallpaper?  These are all absolutely wonderful wallpapers.  They are bold prints so think small, like an entry way, powder room, or an accent wall in a bedroom?  You could always do a half wall and put up a chair rail and paint the bottom white.



1. 2. 3.

If anyone has a spare $6000+  buy me the Aquasilks rug.  I love their collections so much at ABC Home.  You would be the coolest kid on the block with that rug.  However, for $1000 you can get the same size rug from Surya and they are pretty great options too. The tie-dye rug would be fun in a playroom.




1. 2. 3.

You can spruce up your sofa with a pretty purple throw or these great block printed pillows.



1. 2. 3. 4. (I used this fabric in a little girls' nursery), 5.

If you want to make your own pillows or have curtains made, the above fabrics are pretty great.  It just takes a little bit to really liven up your space with pretty purple!




1. 2. 3. 4.

I love these pieces of artwork so much.  They could work in any space.  Or how about flanking your sofa with two pretty purple lamps?  I would! 





1. 2. 3. 4.

The least expensive way to add your touch of purple would be to go the accessory route.  Pick up some amethyst glass at the flea market, or pick some lavender or hydrangeas, buy a purple picture frame, or how about adding splashes of purple in your bookshelves?



1. 2. 3. 4.

Don't forget about your dining table.  Wouldn't these items be like little jewels on the table?  And just look at the Le Creuset tableware!




All these items have reaffirmed my love for purple.  Hopefully it has started a spark in you for your own home.  If it has, I would love to be able to help create a wonderful space for you to call home.










4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I have been planning on using purple in one of our guest rooms, and this gave me some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily for being a faithful follower! I saw you put some of the purple pieces on your Pinterest. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. My favorite color will always be purple!!! However my newest favorite to wear is teal lol :) that's also what I've been decorating in because Geoff likes it too...Idk if he would have been okay with purple. Maybe in a guest room. :) love a lot of what you found! I wish I had endless money to do whatever I want! Maybe someday lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun teal! Purple in a guest room is a great way to put feminine touches in your house because he probably doesn't go in there!
      Well I'm working on planting a money tree, I will be happy to donate :)

      Delete