Monday, April 09, 2012

Our Bathroom

We currently rent a small apartment on Spotts Beach.  The apartments were built in 1980 and ours hasn't been touched since then.  In case you are not aware, that was not the best year for decorating.  While the furnishings, small space, and musty smell aren't our favorite, we chose it for the view.


Our screened in porch


We are on the second floor with the ocean as our backyard.  If we lived on the popular Seven Mile Beach here I can't imagine how expensive our rent would be, but instead we are on the quiet Spotts Beach in Grand Cayman.


On my days off, I enjoy relaxing on Our beach, just steps from our apartment. 


Below is the little gem of a bathroom we use.  It is located downstairs and we use it for the shower, and I use it in the morning to get ready.  The bathroom connected to our upstairs loft bedroom is used to brush our teeth.  If I owned this home I would be so embarrassed to show it.  No, I am still embarrassed to show it!  Pink bathroom tile and that awful dirty green/yellow paint color.  Gross.   I know, I know, paint is inexpensive and getting a crisp white shower curtain wouldn't hurt either.   It is easier for me to put blinders on when I go in there.  I told Steven I was going to take pictures of our pink tiled bathroom and he said pink tiles?  He didn't even notice they were pink!  I don't see how he does not notice it everyday. Every time I take a shower I look at the stupid flower tiles that are sporadically placed in there and cringe!  


Our very offensive bathroom with pink tile.




I can't help but imagine a gorgeous master bath in my dream house.  Fixing up our Charleston master bath was on our future to-do list.  Now we have renters, hopefully, happily enjoying our home with their two dogs (EEK two BIG dogs at that!!).   Perhaps if we go back to Charleston I will prepare our dream bathroom.


My Dream bathroom, according to my Pinterest photos, consists of white marble galore.  (If you look at my kitchen pictures they consist of the same!)  I guess I am a big fan of simplistic, timeless style.  When it comes to such a big undertaking and expense as tile is, keeping it clean simple and white, truly is the smart way to go.  Marble just happens to fit that bill.  Marble can fit into your home regardless of style, from traditional to modern, just have a look at these examples.




 This image shows several applications for marble.  I am usually a fan of marble with less veins, such as Carrara, but I do like the basketweave floor tile. (source)


This is a great example of using marble in a modern way, while using touches of traditional elements like the wallpaper and chandelier.  The application in the shower is very interesting. (source)



Clean, simple, modern marble everywhere. (source)


I love this bathroom.  It is so elegant!  The marble basketweave floor, marble counter tops, marble tub (!), and beautiful wallpaper, and just plain everything! I wonder what the husband's side of the bathroom looks like?  (source)



Another great example of using marble in a modern way but mixing traditional elements with it.  Really like the chevron stripes and the marble mosaic border around the mirror, oh and the pretty little chandelier. (source)


Marble and what seems to be teak wood.  Keeping it simple and earthy.  (source)

 I will always remember this image from House Beautiful.  Truly a luxurious bathroom fit for a castle!  Marble floor mats for his and hers and pink towels!!  (source)




Mixing mirror and marble looks so beautiful.  I would take this in a heartbeat!  Not sure how my Monsieur would enjoy it.  (source)


This is quite a creative way for using marble as a shower wall.  It is the only image I have seen like that.  You could easily use that it a modern bathroom as well.  (source)


Absolutely gorgeous bathroom by Walker Zanger.  


Marble is always gorgeous in every application (in my eyes), but it can get pricey.  If I was doing my own bathroom, I wouldn't apply it on all surfaces as most of these images show.  I would use it on the floor, or as accents in the shower or both.  You can find mosaic tiles in marble and only a few square feet would be needed to do a border.  Our kitchen backsplash in Charleston was a 2x2 marble mosaic from Home Depot that they kept in stock and it was not expensive!  Or you could find a remnant piece at your granite yard for the counter top.  Typically you save at least $10 a square foot when you buy a remnant.  Many ready made vanities have marble tops standard on them.  Pottery Barn had a few vanity options, but on the pricier side. 

Now getting back to our current rental bathroom... I would love to be able to redo it for our owner by getting things inexpensive.  I would chose simple white subway tile.  This is usually a few dollars a square foot (perfect!).  I will need around 70 sq. ft. for the tub surround.  I would save a few bucks and keep the picky beige floor tiles, toilet, and tub.  Pick up a ready made vanity with counter top at our local hardware store for under a $1000, keeping it clean with white.  Plenty of storage is a must because we have none, so maybe a medicine cabinet could be used as the mirror.  Paint the walls blue, we are in the Caribbean after all!  Add a sparkly accent border in the tub.  New stainless steels towel bars are a must.  I think all these could easily be done for under $2000.  

Here's what I would do:

1. Nantucket Fog   2. Medicine Cabinet    3. Vanity    4. Glass accent tile    5. Waterworks Subway tile ($15 a sq. ft. but can find cheaper)    6. Towel Bar



I have been working on bathroom renovations, so I have them on the brain.  Looking at Walker Zanger's catalog has made me VERY jealous and wanting everything.  I have saved tons of their images as inspiration for future projects.  I will post about this bathroom renovation as it gets closer.  We are looking to install in May.  Pretty much everything has been selected, just need a few more odds and ends.

Hopefully these images have inspired you to take another look at your own bathroom.  Just remember if you keep it simple and timeless, you won't get sick of it ten years down the road and it won't look dated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment